Only students who have submitted a complete application and have met the minimum requirements will be granted an audition for admission to The Dance Department of Curie Metropolitan High School for the Performing & Technical Arts. Submission of an online application including technical dance photos, a dance video and statement of intent. Please refer to the Audition Guidelines for online submission requirements. Walk-ins will be accommodated on a limited basis.
Students of all abilities may audition for admission into the dance program. Curie recognizes the need to provide opportunities for students who have had high levels of prior dance instruction, as well as students who have had little to no prior training but demonstrate a strong natural ability and a desire to learn
ONLINE APPLICATION PROCEDURE:
Submit an online Application Form and upload two dance photos, your video audition and statement of interest to email@example.com
PHOTO GUIDELINES: Photos should be high quality JPEG files in the following positions:
1. First, second, fourth and fifth positions with port de bra
Please name the file in the following format: Last Name, First Name-photo1.jpeg
2. Tendu a la seconde: please name the file in the following format: Last Name, First Name-photo2.jpeg
A 1:30 minute clip of you dancing. The movement does not have to be original, however it should include a grand battement, pirouette (parallel or turned out), a slow promenade that shows technique (or availability for technique) and any type of large jump. NOTE: Don't fret about technique. We are looking for students who are committed to the art form of dance and who are willing to learn with an open mind and heart. Please name the file in the following format: Last Name, First Name-Video
LETTER OF INTEREST:
A letter of interest stating your interests in dance and why you would like to participate in The Dance Department at Curie Metropolitan High School for the Performing & Technical Arts. We are an internationally accredited course that requires writing throughout the curriculum.
Only students who have submitted a complete application and have met the minimum requirements will be granted an audition for admission to the Curie’s Music Department.
Students of all abilities and levels of experience may audition for admission into the music program. Curie recognizes the need to provide opportunities for students who have high levels of musical training and for students who have not had training in a formal setting, but demonstrate strong natural ability and a desire to learn.
Submit a digital recording of your video audition and statement of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org
Required DIGITAL audition preparation
- Perform two contrasting (fast/slow) pieces, or one piece with contrasting sections. Accompaniment is not allowed for the instrumental audition. If using sheet music the student must bring one additional copy of music to the audition for the adjudicators.
- 2 contrasting (fast/slow) songs. An accompanist will be provided (bring sheet music in the appropriate key), or students may bring accompaniment on CD, MP3 player, smartphone, or tablet. (instrumental track only, no lip-synching). Acapella (unaccompanied) singing is encouraged and permitted. Bring an additional copy of your music for the adjudicators. You should perform songs (no matter how simple) that demonstrate the quality of your voice and clear articulation of the song’s words. Patriotic songs, church hymns, some show tunes and art songs are appropriate. Popular music that imitates the style of a pop singer is not helpful in determining the quality of a young voice, and should be avoided. A piece that shows high notes and low notes is helpful. Many Chicago Public Libraries have sheet music available for free checkout.
Only students who have submitted a complete application and have met the minimum requirements will be granted an interview for admission to Curie’s Visual Arts Department.
Students of all abilities may interview for admission into the visual arts program. Curie recognizes the need to provide opportunities for students who have had prior instruction in the visual arts and students who have not had prior training, but demonstrate a strong natural ability and a desire to learn.
Submit an online DIGITAL PORTFOLIO and statements of interest to email@example.com
Required audition preparation:
- Students must photograph (well) 7-10 pieces of artwork that represent their artistic interests. All artwork must be created by the student alone and clearly labeled with the student’s name and title of the piece (if titled). Artwork may include, but is not limited to, painting, drawing/sketching, sculpting, photography, and graphic design. No copies or tracings are allowed; in addition, only two pieces may be in the style of anime or manga. Students may photograph sketchbook pages, but some work should reflect completed artworks.
- Students who use a sketchbook are strongly encouraged to photograph some pages.
- Students will submit a maximum 100-word essay explaining the work they have presented and their artistic interests.