Below find specific requirements for each ARTS discipline.
Curie High School DANCE Program Entry Procedures
Curie’s Dance Department offers an internationally acclaimed dance major for students entering academic grades 9 through 12. Admission to the School’s dance program is by virtual audition for 2021-2022. Your auditions will be sent to MAWilson1@cps.edu. Submissions must be clearly marked with the student’s name, CPS email, CPS identification number and current school they are attending.
Applications must be submitted to by Friday, December 11, 2020 to be considered for the next school year to a particular CPS school Application Videos due Friday, January 29, 2021. Applicants will be notified by CPS as to whether or not they have been selected to attend.
Should you have any further questions, please contact MAWilson1@cps.edu or the Registrar at 312. 535.2100.
Copy and paste the following application and include with your photo/video submission:
The Dance Department of Curie
Professional Dance Program
Application for Virtual Audition
Name of Applicant (First Name/Surname)
Chicago Public Schools ID Number
Current School (Full Name)
Name (First Name/Surname)
Name (First Name/Surname)
Applicant Entry to (academic grade as of next September)
__________ Grade 9 ____________Grade 10 ________Grade 11 ________Grade12
How did you hear about Curie’s Dance Department? ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Does the applicant attend dance classes? ________YES ________NO
If yes, how many times per week: _______________
What dance genre(s) __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Most Recent Dance School:
Name of School
Have you previously auditioned for Curie Dance Department? ________YES ________NO
Why have you chosen for audition for Curie’s Dance Department ? ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
What are your future goals and current inspirations?
The Dance Department of Curie
Virtual Audition Requirements for Entry
Note: Applicants should do all of the following, beginners should only do the exercises marked by an * ALL applicants should submit a 4X6 photograph of themselves in tendu in 2nd position.
- * ONE CLOSE-UP SHOT/VIDEO OF FACE AND FIGURE. Please position the camera in front of the applicant to show FULL height and breadth in all the following shots (moves/positions).
- * POSTURE
*a) Stand facing the camera with feet together and arms at sides.
*b) Face the wall to the right, same stance.
* c) Face the back, same stance.
* d) Face the wall to the left, same stance.
- Face the camera with feet in 1st position. Arms can be either in 2nd position or with hands on hips.
- a) Extend right leg to the side (tendu 2nd) and point foot. Hold position and then close.
- b) Extend left leg to the side and point foot. Hold position and close.
- c) Rise on to demi-pointe. Hold and lower.
- d) If the applicant has learned arabesque, please stand facing the right side, hands on shoulders, extend left leg to the back and hold position.
- e) Repeat exercise standing facing left side.
- * STRETCHES — The applicant should sit facing the wall to the left.
* a) Sit upright with right leg extended straight in front of the body, with the left leg bent, knee to ceiling, foot flat on floor. Arms can hug the bent leg. Pointe the extended foot as hard as possible and hold.
* b) Repeat exercise with other leg.
* c) Sit upright with both legs extended in front of body and arms extended above head. Bend torso over legs, attempting to place chest on thighs while keeping knees fully stretched. Arms should reach out beyond feet. Hold position.
* d) Lie flat on back. Extend right leg on the floor in front of body and lift the left leg straight up off the floor. Take hold of the raised leg with hands and pull it towards chest. KNEES SHOULD NOT BEND. Hips should remain on the floor. Hold position and lower.
* e) Repeat exercise with other leg
* f) Lie flat on back. Bend both knees with feet flat on floor, let legs flop open to the sides. The soles of your feet should face each other. Keep center of back flat against the floor.
* g) Sit on the floor with legs open to the side as far as possible. Lean body forward and try to place chest on the floor with arms reaching straight out on the floor in front.
- * MOVEMENT STEPS — These movements require space and music.
*1) Stand facing the camera, feet in first position. Do 16 jumps in first position, jumping as high as possible while staying in time with the music
* 2) Starting from the back corner (either side), do 2 circles of skips and /or gallops, hands on waist.
3) Starting from the back corner, do 2 circles of runs using expressive arm movements.
4) Stand facing camera and perform a simple port de bras with use of head to show style and sense of movement.
5) If applicant has learned chainé turns or pirouettes, please demonstrate on best side.
- For applicants wishing to enter Advanced Dance Groups. Please perform all of the above and add:
1) Travelling steps or simple enchainment which include temps levé in arabesque, balancé, waltzes. Simple arm movement can be used. DVD Audition Requirements for entry to Professional Ballet Program Grades 8 and 9 DVD format (Region 1 or Region Free DVD’s are preferred. Alternatively, please use the NTSC format.) FEMALE 1. One close-up shot of face and figure in each position as per photo chart on the last page.
- Barre work. Please position the camera in front of the applicant to show FULL height and breadth in pliés and port de bras. Please position the camera halfway between front and side for all other sections of the barre to show full range of movements. 5 minutes of simple Barre work to cover: a) pliés and port de bras b) tendus and jetés ( glissés, degagés) c) adage with fondus d) grands battements
- Centre Practice — 5 minutes of Centre Practice, Adage and Pirouettes a) Centre Practice must show battement tendu combined with battement jeté in croisé, en face and effacé, devant and derrière. b) Adage must include releve lent or développé in big poses including 1st arabesque. c) Pirouettes may be from 5th, 2nd, or 4th position and must be done on the right and the left sides, en dehors and en dedans.
- Allegro — 5 minutes of Allegro to cover:
- a) 1 enchaînement terre à terre (quick steps).
- b) 1 enchaînement showing basic batterie.
- c) 1 enchaînement showing travelling jumps including waltzes, temps levé in arabesque and jeté en avant.
*VIDEO SOLO 1-3 minutes
Every applicant must submit a solo video.
Your solo should show off your best dance and performance abilities. Your choreography can be original or choreographed by someone else. The solo may be in any dance style or mixed styles.
Only students who have submitted a complete application and have met the minimum requirements will be granted an audition for admission to the Curie’s Music Department.
Students of all abilities and levels of experience may audition for admission into the music program. Curie recognizes the need to provide opportunities for students who have high levels of musical training and for students who have not had training in a formal setting, but demonstrate strong natural ability and a desire to learn.
Submit a digital recording of your video audition and statement of interest to email@example.com
Required DIGITAL audition preparation
- Perform two contrasting (fast/slow) pieces, or one piece with contrasting sections. Accompaniment is not allowed for the instrumental audition. Students share why they selected that piece of music and their creative process.
- 2 contrasting (fast/slow) songs. An accompanist will be provided (bring sheet music in the appropriate key), or students may bring accompaniment on CD, MP3 player, smartphone, or tablet. (instrumental track only, no lip-synching). Acapella (unaccompanied) singing is encouraged and permitted. You should perform songs (no matter how simple) that demonstrate the quality of your voice and clear articulation of the song’s words. Patriotic songs, church hymns, some show tunes and art songs are appropriate. Popular music that imitates the style of a pop singer is not helpful in determining the quality of a young voice, and should be avoided. A piece that shows high notes and low notes is helpful. Students share why they selected that piece of music and their creative process.
Only students who have submitted a complete application and have met the minimum requirements will be granted an interview for admission to Curie’s Theater Department.
Students of all abilities may interview for admission into the theater program. Curie recognizes the need to provide opportunities for students who have had prior instruction in theater and students who have not had prior training, but demonstrate a strong natural ability and a desire to learn.
Submit your video audition and statement of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org
1) Students submit a video of a memorized monologue of their choosing, or from those provided by the school. Students share why they selected that monologue and their creative process.
2) Students submit a video of their performance of 32 bars of a musical theatre song selection. Students share why they selected that musical theatre piece and about their creative process.
Only students who have submitted a complete application and have met the minimum requirements will be granted an interview for admission to Curie’s Visual Arts Department.
Students of all abilities may interview for admission into the visual arts program. Curie recognizes the need to provide opportunities for students who have had prior instruction in the visual arts and students who have not had prior training, but demonstrate a strong natural ability and a desire to learn.
Submit an online DIGITAL PORTFOLIO and statements of interest to email@example.com
Required audition preparation:
- Students must photograph (well) 7-10 pieces of artwork with accompanying artists statements that represent their artistic interests. All artwork must be created by the student alone and clearly labeled with the student’s name and title of the piece (if titled). Artwork may include, but is not limited to, painting, drawing/sketching, sculpting, photography, and graphic design. No copies or tracings are allowed; in addition, only two pieces may be in the style of anime or manga. Students may photograph sketchbook pages, but some work should reflect completed artworks.
- Students who use a sketchbook are strongly encouraged to photograph some pages.
- Students will submit a maximum 100-word essay explaining the work they have presented and their artistic interests.